Friday, June 5, 2009

Designer Spotlight: Balmain

So I personally have never heard of this designer until my BFF Beyonce wore a Michael Jackson inspired jacket. Then a couple of days later Ms. Rih Rih was spotted rocking a similar jacket:


Now every time I turn on my computer I see a new celeb rocking these military/embellished jackets:

Now I’m thinking, Who is this designer taking Hollywood by storm? Well according to www.Nymag.com:

Pierre Balmain founded his house in 1945. He was one of the design giants, along with Christian Dior, known for lavish couture. Balmain was known for elegant, super feminine looks. Sadly Balmain passed away in 1982, and shortly after his house filled for bankruptcy. However in 2003 investors revived the lable, and in 2005 brought on designer Christophe Decarnin. Now a label that was once known for ultra elegant evening attire with a draping and pleating focus, is now known for tough-chic, thigh-grazing, body-skimming looks.



Interesting! I am definitely a fan. My only beef with this label is the lack of Black models on their runways. Anywho….. So far there aren’t any affordable alternatives (expect for shoes), but I’m on the look out and will keep you posted.

Christophe Decarnin

0 comments:

 
Template by Exotic Mommie